I made a
fireplace swag last February to decorate for Valentine's Day ... loved it so much that I couldn't wait to make one for the summer. They are really easy to make - but it does take some time. I found it to be a perfect "TV craft project."
Supplies needed: Jute cord, 8-10 different coordinating fabrics, scissors.
I take a long piece of heavy jute cord (measure your mantle-including the amount of "swag" you want, add about 8" then cut. ) I then make three slip knots... one on each end and one in the middle of the piece of jute.

I tear my fabric in to 1" strips and cut those strips between 6 to 8" in length. I like to vary the length of the pieces -- I think it looks better as it hangs. I also like to use a variety of fabric. I love the different textures created. On this particular swag I used several old shirts that I raided from my son-in-law's closet (thanks Jared!!) Some fabric scraps I had in my scrap box, an old sweat shirt that my son had stained on the front, and several pieces of ribbon from my ribbon box.

Once the fabric is torn and cut I just start tying each piece on to the jute (I use a square knot) and keep filling in along the jute until I reach the thickness I like. Make sure you push the knots together-don't leave any gaps along the jute cord.


Several years ago I attached these "hooks" to the wall behind my fireplace. This is how I attach my pine swag to the mantle at Christmas and now I attach my fabric swag to those same hooks. I have never taken them out of the wall - just cover them with other items on the mantle when not in use...

I love it ... and think it looks just Fabulous!!!
3 comments:
Very nice looking....it's so substantial looking too, that makes it great!
~Susan
It looks fantastic. What a great idea.
I LOVE your swag, Janis! I wish I had a mantle to put one on... I'll have to find somewhere to hang one at my place.
Thanks for popping by my blog. You have beautiful family pictures down the side of yours - gorgeous! My kids are still little.
Post a Comment